PROBUS Club of Durham West
Sharing Our Recipes
ALL HAIL TO THE RHUBARB!
I offer rhubarb recipes this month: A Muffin, A Torte, A Sauce and A Rhubarb Cake. Get ready to bake! These are recipes offered by a friend, my niece and my mother’s handwritten recipe collection. “The Big Guy” was never a fan of rhubarb but he has agreed to grow the plant and is amazed when he gets Rhubarb Sauce spooned over Vanilla Ice Cream. I often clean and chop the rhubarb then freeze in large Ziplock bags. It breaks apart easily and can be measured even when it is frozen solid. You will have enough for many of these recipes when you are ready to bake!
“The Big Guy” likes his desserts with strong sweet and milky coffee or strong black coffee with a generous shot of one of the Irish Cream Liquors.
1 ½ cup brown sugar
½ cup canola oil
1 cup of milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups rhubarb, sliced or diced
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp margarine, melted
½ cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1. Mix the wet ingredients until blended
2. Mix rhubarb with the dry ingredients
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients.
4. Spoon into greased muffin tins or muffin
5. Spoon topping over each muffin.
6. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
A Layered Dessert for a 9”x9” pan. This recipe is best made on the day you serve it!
1 cup graham crumbs
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp sugar
Mix and reserve just 2 Tbsp for topping. Pat into a 9”x9” pan and bake in a 350F oven for 10 minutes.
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
4 cups diced rhubarb (if using frozen rhubarb do not add extra water)
½ cup water
Few drops of red food colouring or 2-3 finely chopped strawberries
In a saucepan, mix all ingredients and cook until thickened. Add chopped strawberries or red food colouring to brighten the colour of the rhubarb. Cool.
1 pkg vanilla pudding and pie mix
Prepare as directions on the box. Cool.
Spread on a small container of Cool Whip.
Sprinkle with reserved graham crust crumbles.
Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Use a 9”x11” pan.
Bake 30-40 minutes in 375F Oven
½ cup butter
1 ½ cups brown sugar
½ tsp salt
1 cup sour milk (1 c. milk + 1 Tbsp vinegar)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ - 2 cups rhubarb, finely cut, raw or frozen
¼ cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Cream together butter and brown sugar.
2. Add egg, salt, sour milk and vanilla.
3. Fold in flour and baking soda then rhubarb
4. Pour into a 9”x11” greased and floured pan.
5. Sprinkle with topping then bake 375F for
6. This recipe can be doubled but increase the
Use over Vanilla Ice Cream or as Jam on Toast
2 cups rhubarb, chopped or diced
¼ cup water
¼ cup of sugar
1. In a saucepan bring to a boil then turn
2. Sour rhubarb may need additional sugar.
3. Colour with a few chopped strawberries as
4. Cool and refrigerate sauce for 2-3 weeks.